Congratulations on the arrival of your new little one! I look forward to meeting you and photographing your little newborn! I”d have so say that these are my most favorite type of session to photograph and the one I consider to be my specialty! There are two types of newborn sessions… the lifestyle session and a studio session.
The Lifestyle Session
This type of session is typically done in the client’s home, in the baby’s natural surroundings. I’ll take photos of you and your family/children interacting with the baby.. snuggles, feeding, even having Daddy and siblings give baby a bath. These sessions are full of tender moments together, and plenty of shots of the baby by him/herself, including all those precious fingers, toes, lips, etc. This is my recommendation for those who want the baby’s siblings under 4 incorporated into the session. It is more comfortable for everyone and is safer for your newborn as we can shoot sibling shots on a big, comfy bed instead of in studio.
The Studio Session
This is the most popular type of session. Clients come to my natural light studio and relax while I pose their little one on beautiful, plush, textured blankets, wrap them in snuggly wraps, adorn them with delicate head bands and knit hats, and even throw in a few prop shots for fun! Mom and Dad, and even older siblings can jump in for a few shots in the beginning too.
When you book a newborn session with In Bloom, you’ll receive a very informative email that will give you some dos and don’ts that will help you prepare both you and the baby for the session. Here are a few of the highlights!
- Sessions generally take up to 3 hours. Please plan for that and be sure not to schedule on the day of a doctor’s appointment or when you have a time constraint. Do bring your iPad, laptop, thank you notes, a good book, or your pillow! I won’t need much assistance from you and want you to make the most of your time while I work with the baby!
- If parents/siblings would like to be photographed with the baby, I will typically do those shots first while everyone is fresh and ready. I suggest neutral, earthy tones (creams, nude) with jeans for the family, it creates a very natural, organic look to the photos. Black is also an option if you prefer. I love skin on skin type photos too. If Dad or little brother is comfortable being shirtless for a few, it can make for some very tender images. Moms and sisters are great with neutral colored tube style tops, camisoles, or one of my fabric wraps too for the skin on skin look.
- My general preference to is keep everything as simple and pure for a newborn session. I use very small and subtle head bands/hats in order to keep the focus on the baby. You are always welcome to bring some of your own, but let’s discuss it first so I can plan accordingly.
- I generally try to keep the colors consistent throughout the session so that any of the images will look great on your wall. I will ask if you have any color preferences for me to consider but if not, I’m happy to style the session myself!
- I try to keep a tranquil, quiet environment during the session. Seating is limited in the studio, so I recommend bringing no more than yourself, your spouse/partner or one guest if necessary.
- You can expect an e-mail from me within 2-3 weeks after your session with your private online gallery link and password. Your gallery will include instructions on how to order prints. Your gallery will expire 5 days after being published. All orders/upgrades must be placed prior to expiration.
Thank you so much for allowing me to capture these tiny memories for you, they change SO fast… you’ll be very happy you chose to do a newborn session!